Friday, September 30, 2005

OT...

Operating theatre that is, not a theatre that is functioning but rather a place where surgery takes place.

Ended my short one week attachment today, it was truly an eye opening experience. During the one week, me and my school mates have to assist in at least one of the minor sugeries which was the crux of this attachment. The medical term of this assistance is "scrub", e.g I'm scrubbing a case today or have you scrub any case?

I got to scrub for a case of closure of ileostomy. I was rather anxious before the procedure, as we were told that surgeons were rather impatient with rookies, esp students. And to make matter worst, we were fed horror stories of how we will be shouted at if we happened to be just a little slow and how some of the students cried. Thank goodness the accompanying senior staff nurse was rather nice and was by my side guiding me. I stood just next to the surgeons and handed them the instruments on cue. Even though I did prepared myself the night before by reading up on some of the instruments, it still took me a while to process the infor when the surgeons asked for a particular instrument. Luckily none of those horror stories were true, at least in this procedure.

Hmm..I just might opt for OT posting when I graduate, time will tell.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home